Friday, October 16, 2009

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Sometimes people wonder how I can talk about spiritual experiences, and yet call myself an atheist. Sometimes other atheists take it I'm a theist or superstitious person in the closet, while some believers cannot fattom how I translate my spiritual related experiences into remaining an atheist. And yet I know I am not the only one who combines spirituality with a non-religious view.

Strictly speaking in a dictionary sense, yes, it is an oxymoron. As an atheist relying on empirical evidence, scientific research and logic before accepting a hypotheses as valid, I do not believe I have a soul or spirit in a supernatural way. However, that said, I do work on my own inner well being and growth of both body, ego and higher conscious, and I do that by meditating, focusing the chakra system, having focused on totems, etc. And plenty of those experiences would be considered positive spiritual experiences, except for the fact that I do not use the supernatural as a source or benefit explanation. And it seems superfluous to me to call these activities and experiences by another name just because I do not ascribe them to a supernatural world, when those some activities and experiences would be called "spiritual" when done by someone who has religious beliefs. 

The spiritual related topics here are insights and experiences about journeys via meditation that involve chakras, kundalini, and totems; about insights on readings and meanings of Tarot and dreams; about sciences such as evolution, cognitive science, physics, the universe; about social views of secular humanism.

Wishing you an interesting life journey where you will learn much,

SSR

No comments:

Post a Comment